by Stephen Holroyd
The Wardour team has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, new ways of thinking and staying ahead of the curve. That’s why we attended a recent CMA Digital Breakfast seminar which took a look at digital developments in content marketing during 2016, as well as some of the trends expected in the year ahead. Here’s a snapshot of some of the things we learnt…
1. Not more – more relevant
In May this year, the number of indexed pages on Google hit 60 trillion. And every 60 seconds, 300 minutes of video is uploaded to YouTube. That’s a lot of content. Ensuring your content gets noticed is absolutely vital, so making your content relevant has never been more important. 44% of consumers would consider ending a brand relationship due to irrelevant content, so it’s not about creating more content, but about creating more relevant content.
2. Shock and awe
‘Content Shock’ is a thing. With so much content out there, it’s vital to give your content the amplification it needs for it to stand out and find its audience. By using data effectively – everything from consumer insights and owned data to social listening – your content can be targeted and will never miss. 85% of brands produce content (arguably more), but only 21% track it successfully. Data offers direction and opportunity. Creativity makes it different, authentic and valuable. And smart amplification creates all-important relevancy.
3. Repurpose, repurpose and repurpose some more
An ‘always on’ strategy means being relevant to more people more of the time. Imagine your content as a turkey. Slicing that turkey into different content formats means getting the most out of it – infographics, videos, listicles, blogs, emails, inmails, GIFs, tweets – you name it. Strangle every last piece of value out of your content.
4. Learn and lend
Look for inspiration from unexpected and often unconsidered sources. Could be your favourite rock band, could be a favourite book. After all, there’s nothing original, just different ways of doing the same thing. As the late great David Bowie once said: “The only art I’ll ever study is stuff I can steal from.”
5. 2017 is all about…
• Building your brand. The most important thing you can focus on in 2017.
• Growing blog subscribers. The blog is the social media rug that ties the room together. It’s the home base, it drives the content pipeline and creates communication. It’s an important part of the content marketing puzzle.
• The hybrid marketer. Someone who can understand and work across all communication disciplines.
• Pushing ideas to a really uncomfortable point.
• Mobile first. Google will be just one of the big boys pushing mobile in 2017.
• Data, integration and consumer first. A focus on real people to tell brand stories.
• Clients working more closely with agencies.
• Amplification and personalisation. Understanding your audience, knowing their objectives and speaking in their language.
• Seeking out new ways to amplify your content. Snapchat, for example.
• Slowing down, taking a breath and publishing content when you know the time is right.
Published Dec 22, 2016