Of course, we love data – the research that provides evidence for the success of what we do.
But we are all about content, and so perhaps unsurprisingly, what often helps us on a course of action is a fabulous insight that expresses a universal truth or comes from someone who has been down the road before.
Here are a few that we think are important today.
Video is happening even faster than mobile. In a year we’ve gone from a billion video views a day to 8 billion.
Nicola Mendelssohn, Facebook, 2016
Emotional connectivity trumps the rational and credibility.
Daryll Scott, Lab, 2016
On social media we have two identities: who you say you are and what your actions say about who you are.
Andrew Ko, Topic DNA, 2016
It took TV 67 years to get to an audience of 1bn. It took mobile just 5 years to do the same.
Claire Valoti, Facebook, Director of Agency Partnerships, UK, 2015
Being good at content marketing is like being a good dinner party guest. Always bring a present.
Chris Talago, EVP, Waggener Edstrom, 2015
We should no longer be talking about ‘digital marketing’ but marketing in a digital world.
Keith Weed, Unilever, 2015
- “Digital can’t be part of the business, it has to be the DNA of the business.”
- Laura Wade-Grey, Executive Director, Multi-channel, Marks & Spencer, 2014
- “The audience has spoken: they want stories. They are dying for them. They are rooting for us to give them the right thing.”
- Kevin Spacey, 2013
- “The ability to provide relevant content, wherever and whenever customers demand it, is more important than ever in today’s competitive market place. The companies that act now to define standards for success and maintain them into the future will be those that break ahead of the pack.”
- Accenture report, 2014
- “We’re shifting to a 365-days-a-year, always-on approach. Instead of big marketing campaigns four times a year, brands are reaching out 24/7
via mobile and social media.”
- Keith Weed, CMO, Unilever, 2013
- “If you’re not on social media, you are dislocated from your markets. You are simply the subject of other people’s opinions, whether right or wrong, about your business. If you’re there, you can help shape the dialogue, demonstrating a willingness to engage and explain, building trust and, crucially, shortening the gap between the institution and the audience. It may all seem tactical. Social media used properly is a modern strategic tool.”
- Alastair Campbell, 2014
- “People don’t want to buy a quarter-inch drill. They want a quarter-inch hole.”
- Former Harvard Business School marketing professor Theodore Levitt
- “The era of digital marketing is over. It’s almost dead. Now, it’s just brand building.”
- Marc Pritchard, Global Marketing and Brand Building Officer, P&G, 2013
- “For the first time ever, the quality of the content is the distribution.”
- Gary Vaynerchuk, author and social marketing expert, 2014
- “No matter what the platform is, what goes into the platform are stories.”
- Wendy Clark, SVP Integrated Marketing, Coca-Cola, 2011